"Hiding in Sunshine" a quick review

I just recently received Hiding in Sunshine by John Stuart and Caitlin Stuart complimentary via the Influenster 2012 Holiday Voxbox program.  The following opinions are completely my own thoughts.


Hiding in Sunshine by John Stuart & Caitlin Stuart
Hiding in Sunshine is a new book (only published in October 2012) written by a father/daughter duo.  The book description (taken from Amazon) is:  "Living lives of quiet affluence in a historic, suburban Boston town, Gavin and Lisa Brinkley had no idea how quickly and decisively their lives, and those of their two young daughters, could be upended. A series of events - a mysterious break-in at their home, some menacing tailgating on the highway from Boston, a startling visit from an F.B.I. agent warning of an imminent kidnapping attempt - leads to the family's abrupt uprooting from its comfortable existence into a terrifying new existence on the run, under new identities. This taut thriller by a father-daughter team follows the eleven-year odyssey of an American family on the run, in hiding through the mountain states of the American west, where survival skills and living off the grid are paramount, but so are friendship, cooperation, and resilience. The enemy, always lurking just out of sight, is a foreign cyber-criminal enterprise that launches breathtaking assaults on the American banking system and physical infrastructure, but the Brinkleys also know that the threat is deeply personal, reaching ever closer to them from the shadows of the past. At the same time, Gavin and Lisa discover the perils of wandering too close to the edges of the dark side, in the murky world of cyber-security. A compelling story of suspense and treachery, HIDING IN SUNSHINE is also a celebration of a family's abiding love and courage -- and a young girl's faith in the triumph of the truth."


So, I just finished this book this morning and couldn't wait to give my insights.  I knew I was going to write an Amazon review when I first received the book and I started thinking about it even while I was reading it.  I even started taking notes about what I disliked about the book so much.  My impressions definitely changed though as I was reading.  The book was very slow at the beginning.  Some of the details that were given just seemed unnecessary.  I also felt that the language of the work was a bit disjointed.  Sometimes you would read something like, "that dude was really, really bad" and then you would read a section that says something like, "the capacious living space."  Capacious...really?  Someone definitely had fun pulling out the old thesaurus on this book.  Despite the wonkiness in the writing styles, I did enjoy this book.  I found myself actually skimming over portions, not because I wasn't interested, but because I wanted to see what would happen next.  If you have any interest in technology, cyber attacks, or "big brother" looking over your shoulder this book is a definite read with a few surprises mixed in. 

Interested in the book?  You can get it on Amazon for $19.95 OR get it for your Kindle at a steal...only $1.99!!

Comments

Popular Posts